Saturday 22 November 2008

Pensioner's problems faced on Vanessa Feltz show

Calls made to Vanessa Feltz's programme on BBC London 94.9FM have led to a special edition of her programme next week highlighting problems the over-sixties are facing in London.

Teresa in Hackney called into Vanessa's programme earlier this month, disgusted she is being penalised in her old age for contributing to a pension, and saying that she has cut down on food and eaten sandwiches when she has had a large bill for heating.

She says: "When I retired I got both my pensions and I worked out that, by the time I paid my rent and council tax only, my living expenses that I had to live on was less than somebody that's never worked, and what the Government says an old age pensioner should have to live on."

She adds: "I went to my local authorities to ask for some help with my rent and what they did was put aside the national amount the Government says I should have to live on, which is £124 a week at the moment, and they swallowed the rest up in rent and council tax."

Vanessa says: "Teresa called my programme because she feels she is being penalised for working her whole life.

"She told me that sometimes she doesn't have a meal in the evening, she has a sandwich instead, because she is terrified of not being able to pay her bills."

Vanessa hopes BBC London 94.9FM will be able to help: "My programme on Monday will be a special programme looking at the problems over-sixties are facing today.

"Dame Joan Bakewell, appointed a champion of the elderly by the Government, and Mervin Kohler, special adviser for Help the Aged, will be joining me in the studio, and we'll also have a reporter at Teresa's home in Hackney to speak further to her and also to one of her friends also experiencing similar problems.

"I hope the programme will be able to help them, and other over-sixties across London facing similar problems, so that Teresa won't live in fear of her bills, and ensure she can have a proper meal at night."

Hear Vanessa Feltz on BBC London 94.9FM on Monday 24 November 2008, 9.00am to midday.

Listeners can call 020 7224 2000, text 07786 200949 or email vanessa@bbc.co.uk to have their say on the issue.

Courtesy of BBC Press Releases

No comments:

Post a Comment