Wednesday 12 November 2008

Monopoly the movie

The Hollywood Reporter have revealed that Universal will be turning the much loved family money game Monopoly into a film...yes, you heard me right.

Ridley Scott has been unveiled as director and Pamela Pettler is set to pen the script.

The Hollywood Reporter writes: "'Monopoly' marks the latest Hasbro property to look to pass go and head to the big screen. Board games and branded properties have become more attractive as studios look to mitigate risk by finding built-in audiences."

They add: "Universal is working with Hasbro on several projects as part of a long-term development deal. Platinum Dunes is producing its feature adaptation of "Ouija Board," while the maritime classic "Battleship" is also in development. Elsewhere at Hasbro, Paramount this summer is set to release Stephen Sommers' feature based on its "G.I. Joe" character. And "Trivial Pursuit: America Plays" is now airing as a syndicated television program. "

I've heard of video games taking to the big screen but, never board games so, it's hard not to question what this madness is all about. It will be interesting to see where they take the plot for such films.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe this movie is going to happen. And they actually have a very talented producer on the job! Should be interesting how this one turns out.

    I found a post on Peterman's Eye today about the history of Monopoly. It's a great read and I thought I'd share...

    http://www.petermanseye.com/anthologies/why-i-like/369-just-pass-go

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that.

    I know, I can't really believe it either but, it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

    I just hope filmmakers don't go too far down this road or it could just get silly...

    ReplyDelete